Paul Jackson reviews the past week of UCL fixtures

UCL Review - w.c. 02/02/2018
P. Jackson

Tuesday 6th February 2018



Yaxley went to the top of the table and they certainly did it in style with an 8-0 home win over Boston Town. Tom Waumsley put them in front after with a header on 7 minutes and Kyle Nolan punished a mistake to make it 2-0 on 27. Liam Hook saw his deflected shot find the top corner four minutes later and it was four a couple of minutes into stoppage time thanks to an own goal. The Cuckoos continued the scoring after the break as Dan Cotton bagged himself a double after 47 and 63, Hook netted his second on 75 and Phil Stebbing rounded off the eight in the final minute. Dennis Greene will have no illusions as to the task in front of him after two games at the helm at Tattersall Road, seeing his new side ship twelve goals already.

Down at the other end, bottom club Oadby Town closed the gap on Sileby to two points with a 1-1 draw at home to fellow Leicestershire side Oadby Town. Aniyah King gave The Poachers the lead twenty minutes from time, but Aaron Black grabbed the equaliser ten minutes later to keep the home side bottom of the pile.




Huntingdon Town grabbed the headlines with a 3-1 win at Eastern Counties League side Ely City. Jonathan Hall, Chris Jones and in-form Corey Kingston got the goals for Huntingdon, with Daniel Jeffrey on target for home side at The Unwin Ground.

Eynesbury Rovers joined them in the semis with a comfortable 2-0 win over Potton United. The visitors didn’t really cause the Premier Division club too many problems on the night as goals from Dom Lawless and Craig Smith saw them home. The first came after 9 minutes after Smith’s header from a Jack Uttridge cross had been blocked and it fell kindly for Lawless to slot home his 35th goal of the season. The second came after 68 when Smith poked home a Dan Draper ball from close range.


Saturday 10th February 2018


Yaxley made sure they held on to top spot with another emphatic victory at Leading Drove, as Oadby Town became their latest victims in a game that saw The Cuckoos net six without reply. Tom Waumsley scored the first two after 14 and 18 minutes and Ross Watson took over with strikes after 22 and 32 as they went into the break four-up. Joe Butterworth joined them on the scoresheet after 59 and Watson completed his hat-trick three minutes later as they looked like they might match the eight they scored on Tuesday night, but this time they couldn’t add to their tally in the last 28 minutes but will be more than happy with their 6-0 win.


Wisbech Town were also 6-0 home winners as they cruised past Rothwell Corinthians. An own goal set them on their way after just three minutes before Michael Frew took over with a double after 27 and 37. Richard Bunting added a fourth eight minutes into the second half before Frew completed his hat-trick after 69. Billy Smith completed the rout six minutes from time to lift Wisbech back up to third, but with games in hand. There is a massive game at Fenland Stadium on Tuesday night when they entertain leaders Yaxley and weather permitting, I would expect a bumper crowd for that one.


In between those two are Newport Pagnell Town who also scored six as they became the latest side to thrash Sileby Rangers. It took The Swans quite a while to break down the struggling hosts, but once they did they were three-up before the break. A towering header from Tom Liversedge put them ahead after 30 minutes and Josh Winters doubled the lead six minutes later with a well taken finish from the edge of the box. Curtis Knight was unfortunate to turn a Taylor Orosz cross past his own keeper four minutes before the break and it looked like another long day at the office for the Northampton side. Sileby had other ideas today though and some determination from Ibby Akanbi saw him score at the second attempt to reduce the arrears after 55 and then the same player made it 2-3 with a curling bullet of a free kick twenty-five yards out on 76. Almost as if they had been teasing with their hosts, Newport slipped up a gear and just four minutes later they had netted a half-dozen. Daryl Smith set up Liversedge on 78 and less than a minute later he had a hat-trick as he fired home a great shot from twenty-yards out. Fazel Koriya added the sixth from the penalty spot two minutes later to put the icing on the cake and ensure Newport keep the pressure on at the top in a very exciting battle for the championship.


Holbeach United lost ground with a surprise 1-1 draw at home to Wellingborough Town. Perhaps surprise is a bit unfair on The Doughboys as the recent appointment to the hot seat of Nathan Marsh has seen a real up-swing in form. They also earned their away point the hard way after the first half sending-off of Nat Ansu and then fell behind to a long range free-kick from Danny Brooks on 66 minutes, but Justin Dowling kept his cool to level the scores from the penalty spot on 73 after Albert Akinremi had been fouled. I’m sure Wellingborough will be far happier with a point from this game though, with the Tigers definitely seeing it as two dropped.


Cogenhoe United finished their game with just nine men after the dismissals of Ryan Ansell (11 mins) for a kick-out and Dan Stevenson (88) for his second yellow. In between those incidents though there were high-points with two superbly taken goals from Harry Chipchase (36) and Charlie Hynam (45) earning the Cooks the win. Both players scoring their first goals of the season for the first team.


Boston Town will be happy with their clean-sheet after conceding twelve in their last two and they two had to survive a man disadvantage after Jordan Nuttell’s sending off for kicking-out at Ross Oulton on the hour. Final score Boston 0 Daventry Town 0.


O.N Chenecks picked up another three points on the road with a 3-2 win at Peterborough Northern Star. Adam Hancock poked Chenecks in front after the keeper had pushed out a corner on 24, but Wayne Morris levelled eleven minutes later after in similar circumstances. Chenecks restored their lead when the home keeper again failed to deal with a corner and Dan Quigley steered his header past the prone keeper and the defender on the line after 70 minutes. A flash-point on 74 minutes saw the game change in the home side’s favour as some jostling in the box saw Chenecks keeper Bartosz Wiciak appear to strike James Hill-Seekings with the referee watching and the official reached for his red card and pointed to the spot. Defender Joe Lewington donned the gloves and the first thing he had to do was pick the ball out of the net following Jake Sansby’s well taken penalty. PNS may have thought it was going to be their day, but within two minutes the ten men from Northampton had restored their lead for a third time. Another corner not dealt with by the keeper allowing Sam Watkins to score from close range and earn his side a 3-2 win.


Sleaford Town picked up a very good win at fellow strugglers Wellingborough Whitworth with a 4-2 scoreline. George Couzens fired the visitors ahead when he smashed home a shot from the edge of the box, but the home drew level. Both wing-backs got on the scoresheet to give The Greens a 3-1 half-time lead, firstly through Luke Hollingworth and then right-sided Dan Worthington. Whitworth pulled one back after the break, but Michael Hayden made sure of an away win when he netted from distance.


The games between Deeping Rangers & Eynesbury Rovers, Harborough Town & Kirby Muxloe and Leicester Nirvana & Desborough Town were all postponed.



Raunds Town officials worked hard to get their game on against Bourne Town and may have been wondering whether it was such a good idea as they trailed 1-3 at the break, but a great second-half showing saw them bounce back to win 5-3 and cement second spot. The Wakes certainly appear to mean business with the recent signings of established Premier Divison players Zak Munton and Dan Schiavi and both those players were on target today. Ty Clark gave The Shopmates the lead after just two minutes, but strikes from Adam Rothery (8), Munton (20) and Schiavi (35) turned the game around, but four unanswered second half goals saw Raunds home. Jamie Russell (53) had pulled one back before a late burst from Clark (80) and a double from Mason Thomas (81 & 87) sent Bourne home pointless.


Potton United are third after Steve Khune’s half-time team talk appears to have woken them up. Goalless at home to Long Buckby until the 55th minute when Nick Bines free-kick took a wicked deflection to give them the lead. Danny Webb made it two just three minutes later after being set-up by Aaron Murrell and he turned scorer himself on 65 when he rounded the keeper, then he netted again after latching on to a long ball eight minutes later. Webb completed the scoring three minutes from time, his 20th of the season from midfield.


In the only other game to survive the weather, Blackstones remain fourth after winning 2-1 at Huntingdon Town. Jones De Sousa gave the Stamford side the lead on 8 minutes, but Connor Clarke restored parity on the half-hour. Joint player-manager Lee Clarke lead by example as he netted the winning goal in the last minute to at least keep the pressure on at the top.


All the other games fell foul of the weather today on yet another miserable Saturday afternoon.

Copyright 2016 - United Counties Football League
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions