Update: The UCL Website is currently undergoing maintenance for the new season. Is there something you want to see from us? Email admin@theucl.co.uk

Saturday's action and this week's midweek review.

Latest news from the UCL.
06 August
Paul Jackson

Saturday 4th August 2018




Two of last weekend’s winners made it six points out of six with 2-1 home victories, while new boys Rugby Town are comfortable winners on the road. Sleaford bounce back from defeat with a fantastic win in Newport Pagnell, while Daventry and Oadby both catch the eye with today’s wins. There is also a win for newly promoted Pinchbeck.

Cogenhoe United are early leaders after a hard fought 2-1 win over Harborough Town at Compton Park. Ryan Dove had netted a double last weekend and did it again with two superbly taken goals either side of a Callum Milne header from a corner. The Cooks skipper’s first goal came following a good build involving Luke Stone, Sean McBride and Montel Dore and was finished with a real cracker of a drive from just outside the box. His second came after a poor free-kick by the visitors and Charlie Hynam steered the ball through to Dove who side-stepped the keeper and slotted home from an angle.

Deeping Rangers are behind them only on goal difference following a similar scoreline at home to Wellingborough Town, but by their own admission they were somewhat lucky to come away with all three points. Scott Mooney put the home side in front after 75 minutes, but The Doughboys looked to have taken a point thanks to a powerful header from Jeremiah Adams with eight minutes remaining. The game was well into stoppage time when Wellingborough failed to clear their lines and a goalmouth scramble ensued at the end of which Charlie Coulson bundled the ball over the line to give Deeping the points.

Rugby Town enjoyed an emphatic start to life in the UCL with a 4-0 win at Peterborough Northern Star, scoring twice in each half. Danico Johnson could well be one to watch as he banged in a debut hat-trick for Valley, taking just five minutes to open his account when he latched on to a poor backpass and slotted past the keeper. The second came after Johnson had seen his shot blocked and defender Loyiso Recci netted with a deflected shot from the edge of the box. Johnson’s second came following a strong run into the box by Jamal Adams and his third from a smart finish from twelve yards out after good build up play by subs Charlie Evans and Harry Holloway. His hat-trick goal coming in the very last minute to put the icing on the cake of an impressive performance.

Daventry Town and Holbeach United are two of the teams expected to be there or there abouts this season and they went head-to-head at Elderstubbs this afternoon, with the home side taking the points 3-1 after an impressive team display. Luke Emery grabbed a debut goal after 16 minutes when he followed up after the keeper had spilled Adam Confue’s 25 yarder and he notched his second three minutes later after good work from Kieran Fitzgerald and Confue. Billy Smith pulled one back for the Tigers on 37 minutes and that’s how it stayed into the break. The third and decisive Daventry goal came with just five minutes remaining, set up by sub Jordan Orosz (who had replaced his brother Taylor) and smashed home by Fitzgerald.

Sleaford Town, having lost last weekend at home to Deeping, had another tough challenge as they travelled to perennial title chasers Newport Pagnell Town, but they rose to the challenge and triumphed 3-1. George Couzens ran on to a Joe Smith through ball to put the visitors in front after 24 minutes, but Michael Lyons levelled with a quality volley from the edge of the box on 33. The Green Army were back in front in first half stoppage time when Simon Bolland rose to head home a deep Luke Hollingworth free-kick. The game was settled on 82 minutes when Liam Harper netted from five yards after Couzens, Liam Harris and Smith had created the opportunity for him. Sam Greenwood almost added a fourth, but his twenty-five yarder rattled the crossbar, but that won’t put a dampener on a great afternoon in Buckinghamshire for the boys in green.

Pinchbeck United made a winning start to life in the Prem, but had to come from behind to do so. Visiting Rothwell Corinthians took the lead through James Stephenson two minutes before the half-hour, but the Knights had turned it around by the break. Nick Bishop played in Fraser Bayliss and his shot went in off the post three minutes before the break and Oli Maltby put them in front right on half time when he netted from close range following an Aaron Eyett cross. The only downside from the game for Pinchbeck was the dismissal of skipper Bishop for violent conduct in the second half.

It was the battle of The Poachers at Boston Town, but it was the Leicestershire version who took the points in a 3-1 away win. Scott Coupland was celebrating in blue afters several seasons banging them in for Deeping after giving the home side the lead, but after that the afternoon belonged to Oadby Town. A Tom Mangan double turned the game on its head as he netted on 65 (left foot finish) and 67 (looping header), before Sam Hollis rounded off the scoring ten minutes from the end when he got past the left-back and rounded the keeper to slot the ball home.

Kirby Muxloe picked up three points at home to Whitworth with a 3-1 win. No details available from the home side, but summer signing Daniel Uche grabbed his first goal for Whitworth in reply.

Leicester Nirvana twice took the lead against ON Chenecks after a goalless first half, but were pegged back and had to settle for a point in a 2-2 draw. Nickesh Savjani and a Sulieman Nassor penalty registering for the home side. Chenecks don’t like anybody to know who scored for them

Eynesbury Rovers drew 1-1 at home to ten-men Desborough Town. The visitors had Liam Boath red-carded after just 14 minutes for a two-footed tackle, but they still took the lead through Luke Stevens who hit the back of the net with cracking shot from outside the box on 49 minutes. Eynesbury grabbed a point when Dan Draper’s shot went in off a defender on 70 minutes after good work down the right by sub T’ai Williams.




The result of the day has to be Bugbrooke St Michaels 4-0 win at Harrowby United. The Badgers struggled all last season but new gaffer Jamie Forrest has certainly shook things up at The Sett and they cruised to victory in Grantham this afternoon. Mason Thomas, Gohkan Ulker, Jimmy Moore and Zhian Watts were the men on target for Bugbrooke.

The game of the day must be the 4-4 draw new boys Anstey Nomads where they shared the spoils in a topsy-turvy encounter with Burton Park Wanderers at Cropston Road. Nomads goals came from Corey Ameni (14, 20) and Ashley Day (48, 49 (pen)) while Paddy Campbell, Paul Caswell, Dylan Otshudy and an Oliver Preston own goal counted for BPW. A superb crowd of 124 witnessing a very entertaining game.

Lutterworth Town only just missed out on promotion last season and they have made a bright start this time around with a 4-0 win over Long Buckby. The prolific Tendai Daire grabbing a brace, with Mark Warren and Jordan Small also on target.

Irchester United couldn’t make it two in two as they went down 3-2 at much fancied Melton Town in a very entertaining game. Jared Harewood gave The Romans the lead with his second of the season on 15 minutes, but contracted Robbie Parsons levelled two minutes later. Melton then turned the screw with goals from Leon Fray (28) and Michael Reeve (64) before Irchester made it interesting through Alfie Taylor twenty minutes from time. 108 people paying to watch this one.

Aylestone Park enjoyed their first game in the league with a 3-0 win at Huntingdon Town. Tom Hill (14), Leon Doughty (43) and Cory Holdom (60) at target for the Leicester based club.

Blackstones made a winning start at home to another new side in Birstall United. Josh Edmondson and Kyrie Foster gave the Stamford side a two goal half-time advantage, but Birstall reduced the arrears two minutes after the restart through Ethan Bibby. Lee Clarke restored the two-goal advantage on 75, but Birstall made it a nervous end to the game with a second six minutes from time from Will Taylor.

Lutterworth Athletic were 3-1 winners over Thrapston Town with the visitors goal coming from the penalty spot converted by Lewis Carpenter on 29 minutes to level the scores. Atho had gone in front through Alex Rhodes who had headed home from Sam Munton’s pinpoint cross on 18 minutes and it was Rhodes again on 36 after a great cross from Jack Sutherland putting them ahead once more. The third came two minutes into stoppage time at the end of the first half when Harvey Morgan poked home after a goalmouth scramble.

Holwell Sports made a winning UCL debut, returning home from Raunds Town 2-1 victors. Harry Thompson gave them the lead on 5 mins, but The Shopmates levelled through Fernand Bass before the break. The Melton Mowbray side were back in front within a minute of the restart though when Ben Betteridge buried his penalty and that proved to be enough to take the points back to Leicestershire.

Rushden & Higham United were beaten 1-2 at home by Bourne Town at Hayden Road with the returning Craig Rook the two-goal hero for the Wakes. He gave the visitors the lead with a free-kick some 28 yards out and then scored again from distance after intercepting a poor clearance. The Lankies did pull one back through Nat Gosnal-Tyler but it wasn't enough to stop his side slipping to a home defeat.

The battle of the relegated clubs ended 3-1 in favour of Sileby Rangers as they travelled to the Canal Street home of St Andrews. Mason Lopez gave yhr Leicester side the lead on 10 minutes, but Sileby's Silva Obeng became the hero with an opening day hat-trick, scoring after 16, 29 & 42, to take the points back to Northampton and give Mitch Austin a winning return to UCL management.






There are six games this midweek, all on Tuesday 7th August and all 7-45 kick-offs. Rugby Town, Pinchbeck United, Daventry Town and Kirby Muxloe all have the chance to be top at 10 o’clock on goal difference if they can make it two out of two.

Daventry Town have home advantage over Harborough Town and after their impressive 3-1 win over Holbeach will be favourites in this one.

Rugby Town will face a stiffer challenge as they travel to Leicester Nirvana and this will be a better indicator as to what they have on offer in their new surroundings.

Kirby Muxloe travel to Desborough Town with three points already to their name, but Ar Tarn will be a much tougher nut to crack than Whitworth and will be confident of getting their first win of the season after picking up a point with ten men at Eynesbury.

Boston Town v Pinchbeck is a tough one to call in this Lincolnshire derby. The home side will be eager to bounce back after Saturday’s disappointing result, but The Knights will be full of confidence after their Premier Division debut win.

Eynesbury Rovers have one point on the table and will be looking for their first win as they entertain a Rothwell Corinthians side who went down narrowly on the opening day.


Oadby Town were due to entertain ON Chenecks, but have announced 24 hours before the game that they can’t host the match due to the ongoing refurbishment on the clubhouse that meant they couldn’t play at Freeway Park for the last few months of last season.



























Copyright 2016 - United Counties Football League
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions