Newport Pagnell Town
Peterborough Sports


Lawless, Smith, Sandy


Moreman, M.Jones

In the clash of the final two UCL teams left in this season’s FA Vase it was Newport Pagnell who survived to carry the League’s hopes into the last 16.  After a quiet opening the match sparked into life mid way through the first half when a long range shot from Sports’ Mark Jones clipped the bar before Newport’s Dom Lawless put a good chance wide from much closer range.  The Swans’ crossbar saw more action shortly before the break when Avelino Vieira’s intended cross bounced off it.  


Although Sports had finished the first half on top it was the home side that started the second half more brightly.  A 25-yarder from Darryl Smith forced Lewis Moat into a good save.  Moat then made further saves from Lawless and again from debutant Elliott Sandy.  However Sports were easing their way back into the game and Dan Lawlor, David Cobb and Vieira all went close.  The deadlock was broken with 20 minutes remaining when a defensive error gave Lawless a chance which he drove past Moat.  The lead lasted just three minutes as Jones was fouled in the box and converted the penalty himself, although Mark Osbourn came agonisingly close to keeping it out.  Both sides pressed for a winner and the excellent Josh Moreman scored a fine goal with ten minutes remaining to put the visitors ahead.  He picked up possession on the half way line, drove forward and placed the ball beyond Osbourn.  Two minutes later Jordan Macleod almost sealed it for Sports but was denied by the post.  With five minutes of normal time remaining a Newport free kick was hoisted in the box and a Sandy knock down allowed Smith to equalise.  Two minutes later it was Sandy’s turn to find the net after a Richard Jones error to give the Swans the lead again.  Sports pressed in the remaining time but Newport held on for a dramatic win after a pulsating second half in front of a bumper crowd of 429.

Copyright 2016 - United Counties Football League
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions