Update: The UCL Website is currently undergoing maintenance for the new season. Is there something you want to see from us? Email admin@theucl.co.uk
Deeping Rangers
Wisbech Town


Scott Coupland, Dan Schiavi


Rangers first League outing of the season saw them entertain the much fancied Fenmen and saw a confident display from the home side the sent Wisbech away from the Haydon Whitham Stadium empty handed.


The first ¼ of the game was an even fayre although the resolute Deeping defence gave the visitors little sight of the home goal with Rangers creating the better of the opportunities.


Henry Dunn’s pass released Dan Schiavi to the corner of the box where his shot pulled wide of the far post, the tireless Scott Mooney whipped in a cross from the goal line that visiting keeper Sam Vince misjudged and the arriving Tom Smith saw the ball hit him and rebound away from goal.


Home skipper David Burton-Jones rose to head Schiavi’s corner against the top of the bar, Mooney cleverly evaded Luke Wilson’s attention but shot straight at Vince.


The visitors showed they were still in the game, Dan Emmington’s free kick caused some concern in the Rangers defence and Alex Beck’s snap header forced Richard Stainsby into a fine reaction save, from the follow up Josh Ford saw his volley narrowly wide.


Another Schiavi corner saw Charlie Ward head for the top corner for Vince to tip the effort against the bar.


Rangers made the decisive breakthrough on 36 mins, Jonny Clay’s clearance was dummied by Mooney allowing Scott Coupland a free run at Vince and he clinically slid the ball past the advancing keeper into the empty net for 1-0


With half time approaching Wisbech missed a good chance to level, Alfie Connor slung in a deep cross where Adam Millson’s header flashed across the face of the goal and wide.



Half Time –Deeping Rangers 1 Wisbech Town 0


The Fenmen took the game to the home side at the start of the second period, Emmington’s deep free kick into the Rangers box only hit Wilson on the back of the head, Michael Frew found Ford in the box but he was narrowly short of getting a touch.


Deeping’s Schiavi had a 35 yard free kick tipped away from the foot of the post by Vince, at the other end Frew was played into the box but blazed over under pressure.


Rangers doubled their advantage on 58 mins with a class goal, Dunn played the ball towards Mooney, his clever touch was collected by Coupland who played the ball over the defender to lay off with his other foot to allow Dan Schiavi to drive the ball into the corner of the net.


The home side were now dominant and playing some fine football, a swift break by Coupland set up Dunn to blast goalwards where Vince made a fine flying save, Dunn’s exquisite pass freed Mooney but he was unable to twist space to get the shot on target.


Wisbech responded, Emmington sent a cross field ball to free Frew, his cross flashed through the home goal area without a touch being applied, the lively Jordan Yong cut inside but the shot was off target, Curtis Knight brought a fine save from Stainsby at the foot of the post.


Rangers had a glorious chance to add to the tally, Coupland broke from his own half, he found Mooney who returned to ‘Coups’ to apply the finish but he pulled it wide.


This was a good win for Rangers, accomplished by a fine performance that gives a good start to the season – only 41 more (league) games to go!




Full Time – Deeping Rangers 2 Wisbech Town 0


Attendance – 163


Deeping: 1. Richard Stainsby, 2. Dan Flack, 3.Tom Smith, 4. David Burton-Jones (Capt.), 5., 6. Jonny Clay, 7. Henry Dunn, 8 Charlie Coulson, 9. Scott Mooney, 10. Scott Coupland (16. Jack Marsden – 88), 11. Dan Schiavi


Subs (not used) 12. Luke Hunnings 14. Brad Hockin, 15. Luke Avis, 17. Danny Bircham



1. Sam Vince, 2. Danny Emmington (14. Keiron Hamilton - 80), 3. Jordan Yong, 4. Alfie Connor, 5. Luke Wilson (16. Paul Cousins - 66), 6. Adam Millson (Capt.), 7. Edgaras Buzas (15. Curtis Knight – 54), 8. Sam Murphy, 9. Josh Ford, 10. Alex Beck, 11. Michael Frew.

Sub not used: 12. Harry Baldry.

Referee: Ryan Allison (Peterborough)

Assistants: Michael Dunkley (Peterborough) and Phil Hayes (Spalding)

Copyright 2016 - United Counties Football League
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions