



Club Name: Wellingborough Town Development
Ground: Dog & Duck Stadium, 83, London Road, Wellingborough, NN8 2DP
Ground Tel: 01933 441388
Website: www.wellingboroughtownfootballclub.co.uk
Twitter: doughboys_wtfc
Registered Colours- Shirt: Yellow/Blue
Registered Colours- Shorts: Blue
Registered Colours- Socks: Blue
Alternative Colours – Shirt: Red
Alternative Colours- Shorts: Red
Alternative Colours – Socks: Red
Chairman: Mark Darnell
Chairman Email Address: mark.darnell@homeinstead.co.uk
Chairman Mobile Telephone: 07730 554821
Secretary: Mick Walden
Secretary Telephone No: 07817841752
Secretary Email: waldenmichael44@gmail.com
Fixture Secretary: Steve Galloway
Fixture Secretary Telephone No: 07865 998260
Fixture Secretary Email: doughboygallers@gmail.com
Manager: Wayne Bellamy
Managers Telephone No: 07444 890436
Managers Email: waynebellamy10@gmail.com
Programme Editor: Martin Potton
Programme Editor Email: m_potton@hotmail.com
Welfare Officer: Gregory Hyams
Welfare Officer Email: wtlfc@btinternet.com
County Affiliation: Northamptonshire County FA
Year Formed: 2004
HISTORY OF WELLINGBOROUGH TOWN F.C (The Doughboys) UP TO THE PRESENT.
The original club was formed in 1867 and is the sixth oldest football club in the country.
The club was a founder member of the first professional football club in the country.
Wellingborough Town are also the oldest club in the County of Northamptonshire.
Upon formation in 1867 the club played under part Handling Code until 1869 when they became a true soccer club. At that time the club ground was in Broad Green, Wellingborough. The club colours were old gold and black. The first secretary was a gentleman by the name of Thomas Slinn.
In 1879 Wellingborough Town became the first club to play under floodlights when they entertained Bedford at the Bassett’s Close, Wellingborough. The game was a close encounter with Bedford winning 1-2. The lights were powered by generators positioned at each end of the pitch.
In the 1880’s Wellingborough F.A was formed as was the East Midlands Association and in 1887 these two Associations merged to become the Northamptonshire F.A.
In 1894 the Wellingborough Charity Cup Competition started and by this time the Club was playing on the Thomas Field, Union Lane. Wellingborough.
In the same year the Club became founder members of the Leicestershire & Northants League and in the following season joined the Midland League. The first recorded winners of the now 1st Division of the United Counties League were Wellingborough Town Reserves. The following year, 1896-97, saw the Club become founder members of the United league.
In 1899-00 the Club were runners-up in the Midland League before joining Division 1 of the Southern League in 1901-02. It was at this time they moved to their current ground at the Dog & Duck, London Road, Wellingborough. The Secretary at that time was a Mr S.J.Burns.
In 1905 the Club changed it’s name to Wellingborough Redwell but resigned at the end of the season after finishing bottom of Division 1. The first recorded silverware was won when they became League Champions in 1910-11. The Club continued to be known as Wellingborough Redwell until 1919 when they reverted back to their former name of Wellingborough Town F.C.
In 1922 the Club ground record of 7,169 was set when they entertained Kettering Town in the Maunsell Cup Final, winning 2-1. The Wellingborough goals were scored by Harry Loasby and Stevens.
The Club records during the twenties, thirties and forties in the Northants, East Midlands, United Counties and Central Alliance leagues are somewhat scant and it was not until the fifties that that the league history of the Club was recorded in more detail. However, there were lean periods in the fifties before some success was recorded when Wellingborough became winners of Division 1 of the United Counties league in 1962-63. They repeated this success in 1964-65 during which time they only dropped six points.
They successfully applied to join the Metropolitan League in 1968-69 and finished a creditable 7th. The following year however, they were League Champions and in 1970-71 they joined the West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division finishing a creditable 3rd. With their ambitions now on a ‘high’ the Club joined the Southern League Division One North in 1971-72.
The Club was able to maintain mid-table positions throughout the seventies before a reorganisation of the league saw them entered into the Midland Division of the Southern League after the League was split into Southern and Midland Divisions with no Premier Division. They remained in what was known as the Southern league, Midland Division until 1988-89 when they were relegated to the United Counties League.
There then followed 13 years of struggle with the Club avoiding relegation from the Premier Division of the United Counties League on several occasions. Their worst dreams became a reality when in season 2001-02 they folded and resigned from the League. This was a black period in the history of a club that had formed the back-bone of the first professional league.
Wellingborough Town has figured prominently in the annals of the F.A.Cup and many exciting encounters have been recorded against old opponents such as Peterborough United, Kettering Town, Corby Town and Cambridge City. The pinnacle of their Cup success was when they reached the First Round proper in 1965 being drawn against Aldershot, who at that time were in the Football League Third Division. Despite losing 2-1 Wellingborough were not disgraced.
The Club has been traditionally known as ‘The Doughboys’ which derived from the traditional local dish of ‘Hock & Dough’.
Wellingborough’s most ‘famous’ son is Phil Neal who started his career at the Town before moving to Northampton and then to Liverpool. His glittering career with Liverpool and England was followed closely by his many local admirers who saw him progress from the Dog & Duck to such exalted venues as Wembley, the San Siro and numerous other international stages.
The Town had been without a senior football team for a period of two years when a local retired Senior police Officer, Laurie Owen, formed group of sporting friends in an attempt to resurrect the ‘Doughboys’. He was joined by a local businessman, Alan Warwick, whose father played for the ‘Doughboys’ in the twenties and the then Mayor of Wellingborough, David Smith. David’s brother was formerly Manager of Aberdeen and St. Mirren in the Scottish League.
Together these three persons recruited other friends including Peter Ebdon the former World Snooker Champion who agreed to be President of the Group, Paul Joy a local Magistrate and Brian Hill, the former Premiership referee. Each member recruited additional friends until there were 24 people who were prepared to get the Club back on it’s feet.
The Dog & Duck Football Ground was owned by Geoff Coles a local businessman who has since moved to Portugal. 10 years ago part of the ground was sold to Whitbread’s who built a travel-lodge. This obviously reduced the overall size of the ground, the training ground and grandstand remained with the pitch being moved and a new clubhouse and dressing room block built.
In their first season back in senior football the team finished second in the United Counties League Division One and were promoted to the Premier Division after losing just one game. The NFA Junior Cup was also won after beating Peterborough Northern Star 2-0 after extra-time at Northampton Town’s Sixfields stadium.
A third-place finish under new player-manager Nick Ashby was a very creditable effort and very nearly culminated in promotion back to the Southern League.
During 2007-08, Nick Ashby resigned and was replaced by Jason Burnham. Jason himself stood down a year later with the 1st team seeing the season out with Joe Smythe and just avoiding relegation.
With Joe standing down at the end of 2008-09, Rob Gould was appointed manager, having been a player at the club 12 months earlier and had just spent a season as manager at Northampton Spencer. We finished the season in a creditable mid-table position.
Season 2010-11, after a hesitant start we finished 5th in the League table, with most of the players signing on for 2011-12.
Season 2011-12 saw the Club finishing in a mid-table position.
For Season 2012-13 we have a ground share agreement with the newly formed AFC Rushden & Diamonds making their inaugural appearance as a senior club, taking part in the UCL Division 1.
After a poor start to 2012-13, Rob Gould stood down as Manager. Craig Adams, U-18’s Manager stood in temporary before the appointment of Phil Mason. Phil had previously managed Woodford Utd. for 10 years during which time he took them from the UCL to the Southern League. Due to private commitments, Phil stood down at the end of November with Craig taking over again as Manager.
A couple of months prior to the end of Season 2013/14, Craig resigned from the Club to take over at Bedford Town. After a short spell of senior players looking after affairs, Ben Watts was appointed Manager ably supported by Ash Civil.
After a poor start to Season 2014/15, Ben Watts was replaced by joint managers Steve Herring and Joe Smyth.
At the end of season 2014/15, Steve Herring and Joe Smyth stood down with Jamie Wright being appointed manager assisted by Colin Cooper. Jamie had recently been assistant manager at Bedford Town but was well known at Wellingborough, having had a number of spells as a player originally starting as a 16 year old in the U-18 team. Colin Cooper had been manager at Bugbrooke.
Following an unsuccessful start to season 2015-16, Jamie Wright and Colin Cooper resigned from the Club, mid September. Craig Adams having recently departed from Rugby Town was appointed Manager.
Craig after a few weeks stood down, to seek pastures at a more senior level, following which Dave Williams was appointed Manager, with Jon Mitchell his assistant. Stuart Goosey being a coach. Dave has been involved with the UCL for a number of years and also managed Rothwell Town when they were in the Southern League.
Dave himself stood down early November, due to distance living from Club, this left Jon Mitchell as Manager and Stuart Goosey as his assistant.
Jon Mitchell stood down at Christmas, 2016 leaving Stuart Goosey as manager who was ably assisted by Mark Starmer, as a coach.
Stuart stood down as Manager, early January, 2018 and his assistant Nathan Marsh, who had only been appointed a few weeks earlier, was asked to take on as Caretaker Manager. He then appointed Gary Petts as his assistant.
At the close of Season 2017/18 Nathan was replaced by Gary Petts who in turn appointed long standing player Joe Rich, as his assistant.
Again at the end of season 2018/19 we had a change of Managers and players when we appear to have made a complete swap with Cogenhoe. Jake Stone joined us as Manager with his brother as assistant, and we saw the return of Rob Gould as coach.
Seasons 2019/20 and 2020/21 were badly affected with the Covid-19 pandemic, and League fixtures being suspended due to Government legislation restricting activities. In 20/21 the Club proceeded to their furthest stage ever in the FA Vase when they played Anstey Nomads to lose 4-2.
At the end of Season 2021-21, the Management Team of Jake Stone and Ben Stone, decided to retire due to other commitments.
The Club was pleased to appoint Paul lamb as Manager and Andrew Batty as his Assistant, both experienced and well qualified coaches.
During the Covid pandemic of 2021-22, Paul Lamb unfortunately became badly affected by Covid and had to stand down as Manager. Jake Stone returned and appointed Jake Cayton as his Assistant.
The 1st team won the UCL Premier Division South 2023-24.
Promotion to Step 4 for Season 2024-25 saw the club finish in a creditable 8th position in the Midland Division, of the Northern Premier League.
Season 2025-26 saw the 1st Team finish 9th in the League table and they went on to win the NFA Hillier Senior Cup against Peterborough Uniteds’ U-23’s.
Admission Prices: Reserve Team: Adults £6.00 Concessions £4.00
Directions: Leave A45 by-pass at town centre slip road. Follow signs to town centre. On reaching the Beafeater Inn on right hand side of road, turn right at the traffic lights immediately past the Inn. The ground is on the right hand side behind the Inn.
Your Content Goes Here